Author: Gail Z. Martin
Narrator: Courtney Patterson
Length: 7 hours 14 minutes
Series: Deadly Curiosities, Book 4
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Released: Oct. 20, 2020
Genre: Paranormal Fantasy
Cassidy Kincaide runs Trifles & Folly in modern-day Charleston, an antiques and curio shop with a dangerous secret. Cassidy can read the history of objects by touching them, and she teams up with friends and allies who use magic and paranormal abilities to get rid of cursed objects and keep Charleston and the world safe from supernatural threats.Caribbean ghosts terrorize Charleston and start racking up a body count. Then Beckford Pendlewood, the heir to a powerful family of dark warlocks, shows up raving about a bound demon locked in a lost box and begs sanctuary. Can Cassidy and her friends find the demon box, stop the killer ghosts, and break the Pendlewood curse before Beckford’s murderous cousins and the vengeful demon destroy them all?
Gail Z. Martin writes urban fantasy, epic fantasy and steampunk for Solaris Books, Orbit Books, Falstaff Books, SOL Publishing and Darkwind Press. Urban fantasy series include Deadly Curiosities and the Night Vigil (Sons of Darkness). Epic fantasy series include Darkhurst, the Chronicles Of The Necromancer, the Fallen Kings Cycle, the Ascendant Kingdoms Saga, and the Assassins of Landria. Together with Larry N. Martin, she is the co-author of Iron & Blood, Storm & Fury (both Steampunk/alternate history), and the Spells Salt and Steel comedic horror series. Newest titles include Tangled Web, Vengeance, The Dark Road, and Assassin’s Honor. As Morgan Brice, she writes urban fantasy MM paranormal romance, with her Witchbane and Badlands series.
Courtney Patterson is an Atlanta native who has been working as an actor on stage, screen, and behind the microphone for close to two decades. She has been narrating audiobooks since 2011 and has fallen in love with the craft of storytelling through narration. Courtney is the mother of two wonderful little weirdos and the wife of a brilliant sommelier. There’s also a cat and some fish in the mix. Courtney couldn’t be happier with her crazy artistic lifestyle and is keenly aware that having good wine always within reach is most likely the reason for her family’s success.
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by Gail Z. Martin. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.
So I was very lucky – to have started this audio books on the heels of finishing Gail Z. Martin’s Night Vigil on audio as well. What a treat.
First – this is the 4th book in the Deadly Curiosities series however you do not need to have read / listened to the other books in the series to enjoy this one (I didn’t)
Wanna know why this one got 4 1/2 Stars?
- Cassidy is an excellent character. Martin does an excellent job of introducing her – even to a first time follower of the story. She has a great back story, with an eclectic mix of powers and personality traits.
- What a fun cast of characters. I think I would really love to get my hands on the other books in this series and in this world.
- The book is filled with such a great mix of interesting lore, paranormal characters, curses and it is so obvious that a lot of research had been put into it. Everything was so detailed and I got completely lost in their world.
- Martin spun such a wonderous tale of intrigue, mystery, a little bit of action that I completely forgot about the fact that I wasn’t really getting my romance fix.
- Narration was completely on point. I normally preferring have a male and female narrator but in this instance it did not subtract from the experience at all. Courtney Patterson has a very melodic voice that is really nice to listen too.
A great listen. An excellent story. Great characters. A blast really.
Plugging you into the audio community since 2016.